Re: Database Kernels and O_DIRECT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Paulo Scardine
Subject Re: Database Kernels and O_DIRECT
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Of course, the big question is why Oracle is even there talking to
> Linus, and Linus isn't asking to get PostgreSQL involved.  If you are
> running an open-source project, you would think you would give favor to
> other open-source projects.  Same with MySQL favortism --- if you are
> writing an open-source tool, why favor a database developed/controlled
> by a single company?

It's the unix style: no message, no error... If Postgres developers do not
send any message to Linus he will think Linux is doing just fine for them.

Seems that Oracle cares to improve their Linux port so they asked Linus some
features. I doubt Linus runned to Oracle asking "please, how could I help
you improve your closed software project?". Kernel folks seems to be very
busy people.

IMHO if we see any window for improvement in any OS, we should go to Linus
(or Peter or Bill Gates) and ask for it. As wrote in the original post.

Regards,
--
Paulo Scardine