Numeric and money - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Michael Davis
Subject Numeric and money
Date
Re: Numeric and money
Re: Numeric and money
List pgsql-sql
Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of migrating my Access97 application to PostgreSQL.  So
far everything looks great with one exception.  I converted my currency
fields in Access to numeric(9,2) as recommended in the PostgreSQL
documentation.  Many things to don't play well with the numeric the data
type.  Here are some examples:

       create table tst (id int, amount numeric(9,2));
       insert into tst values (1, 1.10);
       insert into tst values (2, 1.00);
       insert into tst values (2, 2.00);
       select * from tst where amount = 1; -- works
       select * from tst where amount = 1.1; -- fails
       select * from tst where amount = 1.10; -- fails
       select amount::varchar from tst;  -- fails
       select amount::money from tst; -- fails
       select id || ', ' || id from tst;  -- works
       select id || ', ' || amount from tst; -- fails

From within Access, I can't update any table with a numeric data type
because of the "select * from tst where amount = 1.1;" failure.  These
limitations have caused me to wonder what other PostgreSQL users are using
for their money values?  Is numeric(9,2) the best choice for money?  I
think that adding numeric to text and text to numeric operators will fix
most of these issues.  I plan to add these operators very soon and thought
I would ask if anyone has done this before and could provide me an example
or two before I start.  Does anyone know of any internal functions that
already exist to convert numeric to text so that I don't have to write one?
 I know that psql successfully does this.

Thanks, Michael Davis
Database Architect and Senior Software Engineer, Seva Inc.
Office:        303-460-7360        Fax: 303-460-7362
Mobile:    720-320-6971
Email:        mdavis@sevainc.com