non-root installation of Postgresql? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Terrence Brannon
Subject non-root installation of Postgresql?
Date
Re: non-root installation of Postgresql?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-novice
Hi, I used ./configure --prefix=/home/metaperl/install/pgsql to
install postgres and then I did initdb and createdb and started the
postmaster just fine.

However, attempting to connect via psql is failing with this error
message:

urth:~/install/pgsql> ./bin/psql test metaperl
psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
    connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
urth:~/install/pgsql>
urth:~/install/pgsql>

I looked around for a way to force sockets to be created in /tmp or in
my home directory but saw nothing in the manual.