Re: how to return field based on field= NULL or not - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alban Hertroys
Subject Re: how to return field based on field= NULL or not
Date
List pgsql-general
On 24 Aug 2009, at 7:50, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 11:43 PM, Juan
> Backson<juanbackson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thank you for your help.
>>
>> What I want to dos is as follows:
>>
>> SELECT COALESCE(fieldA::text,fieldB||fieldC||fieldD) from ring where
>> group_id = 1
>>
>> if fieldB is NULL, i will want it to return fieldC|| fieldD
>> if fieldB and fieldC is null, I want it to return fieldD.

I get the impression you mean || to mean C-style OR instead of SQL-
style concatenate? If not, Scott gave you the right solution already,
otherwise read on.

>> Basically, fieldD is always going to have data, but fieldB and
>> fieldC can be
>> NULL.
>>
>> How can I revise the query to meet that purpose?

SELECT CASE
    WHEN fieldA IS NOT NULL THEN fieldA
    WHEN fieldB IS NOT NULL THEN fieldB
    WHEN fieldC IS NOT NULL THEN fieldC