Re: jdbc works with java programs. not with tomcat. - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Andrew B. Luck
Subject Re: jdbc works with java programs. not with tomcat.
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Hi Brett,

Thank you for the help.  I still haven't made much progress.  tomcat and
postgresql were already installed on this computer when it was supplied to
me.  unfortunately, i'm pretty much on my own now...

> I recommend using the shell scripts provided with Tomcat to start and shut
> it down.  Also, there is no need to place & at the end of 'tomcat stop'.

- i didn't intend to be ambiguous.  i've been using 'tomcat stop' (no '&').
- i tried to stop tomcat with the script... '/etc/rc.d/init.d/tomcat stop'.
no luck.

i was able to find a script '/etc/rc.d/init.d/tomcat'.  perhaps this is the
script i should use?  i'll include the contents...

#!/bin/sh
#
# Startup script for Tomcat, the Apache Servlet Engine
#
# chkconfig: 345 80 20
# processname: tomcat
# pidfile: /var/run/tomcat.pid
#
# Gomez Henri <hgomez@slib.fr>
#
# version 1.02 - Removed initlog support
# version 1.03 - Removed config:
# version 1.04 - tomcat will start before httpd and stop after httpd
#
# Source function library.
. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java
export TOMCAT_HOME=/var/tomcat

export PATH=$PATH:${JAVA_HOME}/bin:${JAVA_HOME}/jre/bin

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
  start)
 echo -n "Starting tomcat: "
 touch /var/run/tomcat.pid
 chown apache:apache /var/run/tomcat.pid
 daemon --user apache tomcat start
 echo
 touch /var/lock/subsys/tomcat
 ;;
  stop)
 echo -n "Shutting down tomcat: "
 daemon tomcat stop
 echo
 rm -f /var/lock/subsys/tomcat
 rm -f /var/run/tomcat.pid
 ;;
  restart)
 $0 stop
 sleep 2
 $0 start
 ;;
  *)
 echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart}"
 exit 1
esac

exit 0

> As for the CLASSPATH tomcat searches, if you use startup.sh and
> shutdown.sh provided with Tomcat, it lists the classpath Tomcat is using
> before Tomcat starts up.  You can add custom classpaths to the script or
> add to the system classpath.
i wasn't able to those files anywhere on the computer.  am i insane or just
dumb?

> Most likely, there should be a link (probably something like S##postgres)
> under /etc/rc.d/rc3 that points back to the main startup script, which
> should start up PostgreSQL upon bootup.  What version of Linux are you
> using?

- i was able to find the directory, but not the file.  can you help me find
the main startup script?
- i've got red had version 7.

Thank you again for the help & i apologize for my abundance of ignorance.

-andy