Re: Noobie: Problems with a query - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Chris Boget
Subject Re: Noobie: Problems with a query
Date
List pgsql-novice
> milliseconds.  I'll have to see if the rows come back that quickly in pgAdmin
> and, if it does, that tells me there is something wrong with the way pgAdmin
> does the 'vacuum' and 'vacuum analyze'.  If the rows don't come back that
> fast, then it'll tell me that there is *alot* of overhead when using pgAdmin to
> run queries.

Apparently, there is alot of overhead on pgAdminII.  *Alot*.  When running the
query from the command line, it comes back almost immediately.  When run-
ning the query from pgAdminII, it takes anywhere from betwen 9 seconds to 12
seconds.  I ran an EXPLAIN ANALYZE and, from what I could tell, the query
was to take .827 millisconds (or something along those lines).  I'd paste the
results here but sadly the power went out at home last night, while I was working
on this, due to the tropical storm that hit the Gulf.

Do other people on the list use pgAdminII?  Do you notice a performance hit
when running a query from pgAdminII versus running it from the command line?
Is there anything that I can do to optimize pgAdminII a bit?  I doubt it's because
of my machine because it's pretty fast.  Athlon XP 2100+, 512mb DDR...

thnx,
Christoph