I get this error... - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Karquel Olivier
Subject I get this error...
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi,

I create a postgres user with my home user name.

I get this error by typing : >postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data > logfile
2>&1 & in my home directory.

connectDBstart() -- connect() failed: No such file or directory
        Is the postmaster running locally
        and accepting connections on Unix socket '/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432'?
I found it in documentation :

3.3.2. Client Connection Problems

Alternatively, you'll get this when attempting Unix-socket communication to a
local postmaster:
connectDBstart() -- connect() failed: No such file or directory
        Is the postmaster running locally
        and accepting connections on Unix socket '/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432'?
What can I do ?

I've intalled postgresql 7.1 in Mandrake 8.0 on a single computer.

Someone could help me ?
--
A+
Olivier