Re: Re: useability of apache, PHP, Postgres for real business apps - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Micah Yoder
Subject Re: Re: useability of apache, PHP, Postgres for real business apps
Date
List pgsql-general
On Friday 29 June 2001 02:01, Ron Chmara wrote:

> Some tips on using PG/PHP/Apache in a high-dollar business environment:

> 7. If you're on linux, recompile/adjust your kernel for massive
> shm/sem space. Otherwise, you'll run out of backends when apache
> needs 'em. the pg_pconnect php function needs a backend for each
> apache process. 50 apache processes? 50 postmaster backends.
> (One way around this: set your MaxRequest counter low to "rotate
> the pool")

What if you have several databases?  Does the maximum number of connections
need to be the mximum number of httpd processes TIMES the number of
databases?  ouch.

If so, does Linux's way of dealing with multiple processes using the same
code mean that even if you do have hundreds of simultaneous DB connections,
it won't necessarily use an exorbitant amount of memory?

> 14. Watch out for bad data. Never, ever, under any
> circumstances, grant the web-server user too many rights ... or,

I'm wondering if I'm making that mistake.  What rights should it have?  Seems
like it needs to be able to do pretty much anything with tables -- insert,
update, delete, etc.

--
Like to travel?                        http://TravTalk.org
Micah Yoder Internet Development       http://yoderdev.com