Getting lengths of variable fields - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michelle Murrain
Subject Getting lengths of variable fields
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi folks,

I'm writing a very robust validation script in perl for database entry. One
of the things I'd like to do is check how large a field is, and make sure
that the entry into that field isn't too big. Problem is, for variable length
fields, DBD::Pg returns a -1 size, using the pg_size attribute.

Is there something I am missing? Is there a way to get the size of variable
length types using DBI/DBD::Pg, in particular, char() and varchar()?

Michelle
--
Michelle Murrain, Ph.D.