Re: Some thoughts on replication - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Dirk Heinrichs
Subject Re: Some thoughts on replication
Date
List pgsql-admin
Am Samstag, 27. Januar 2001 00:20 schrieb Bruce Momjian:
> > Have you looked at the replication code that is in contrib?
>
> Yes, your description sounds just like it.

Hmm, which of the two? The trigger mechanism?

In the meantime, a third solution came to my mind:

In case somebody has to take a database with him on a laptop, it is hard to
do replication and avoid conflicts. I once saw an insurance application,
based on FoxPro, where the insurance agents could select the data of the
customers he wanted to visit and and create a so called child database, which
had exactly he same tables as the "mother" and exactly those rows with data
related to the selected customers. Those rows where the marked as readonly in
the mother database, so that only the data in the child db could be changed.
Later, the changes in th child db was reintegrated into the mother db and the
child was deleted.

But I don't know if this was a feature of the application or of the database
system itself.

Bye...

    Dirk