Re: DatabaseMetaData.getTables() - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: DatabaseMetaData.getTables()
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Well I think we can restore the orignal functionality of getBytes so
that it returns a byte array for other objects
As long as we preserve the functionality for bytea types, and
LargeObjects

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Davies [mailto:jason@netspade.com]
Sent: October 28, 2001 8:34 AM
To: Dave Cramer
Cc: pgsql-jdbc@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [JDBC] DatabaseMetaData.getTables()

On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 07:14:42AM -0500, Dave Cramer wrote:
> It appears the getBytes was previously being used to return a byte
> array of any arbitrary column.
>
> Fixes for blobs seem to have broken this. The question is as Jason
> pointed out which do we fix.
>
> It doesn't seem unreasonable to be able to return a byte array for any

> arbitray column. On the other hand is this the intended use?

This is what the documentation says:

public byte[] getBytes(int columnIndex)
                throws SQLException

          Retrieves the value of the designated column in the current
row
          of this ResultSet object as a byte array in the Java
          programming language. The bytes represent the raw values
          returned by the driver.

It seems to imply that it _should_ return a byte array for any arbitary
column. But as usual, it's up to us to decide. I think it's reasonable,
since we are working with byte arrays in the code anyway.

--
Jason Davies

jason@netspade.com