Re: Postgres 7.0.2-2 on Red Hat 7.0? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Wolfe
Subject Re: Postgres 7.0.2-2 on Red Hat 7.0?
Date
List pgsql-general
> >   The last thing that a system admin needs when upgrading PostgreSQL is
"Oh,
> > crap, I forgot to uninstall the RPM of the old one first."
>
> Then upgrade the RPM's.  It isn't hard.

  OK, here's a situation.  One of the programmers at your company runs the
disk out of space.  You're going to go bonk him on the head, but first,
there are more pressing matters.  PostgreSQL 6.5 has horked up the tables,
and needs to be fixed.  7.0 is released, which has a fix for the problem.

  Are you going to sit around waiting for RPM's, while your tables are all
horked up, and the programming department is breathing down your neck
because they can't get work done?

> If you're going to install from source on a RedHat machine, it is simply
> prudent practice, regardless of the package, to make sure the RPM
> version is not already installed.

  I agree.

> And, the fact of the matter is that there are likely far more PostgreSQL
> installations from RPM than from source.

   I fail to see the relevance of that argument.  Popularity does not make
correctness.  If I'm just being extremely dense about that sentence, feel
free to let me know.

steve