Re: Docs about buffers and sortmem setting - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Bjoern Metzdorf
Subject Re: Docs about buffers and sortmem setting
Date
Re: Docs about buffers and sortmem setting
List pgsql-performance
> The general rule of thumb is to try about 25% of physical memory for
> your buffer size.  Some people like to increase from there, until
> swapping starts, and then back off; but there are arguments against
> doing this, given the efficiency of modern filesystem buffering.

How about 32-bit Linux machines with more than 1 GB RAM? We have a 2 GB RAM
machine running, and I gave 800 MB to postgres shared buffers. AFAIK Linux
user space can handle only 1 GB and the rest is for kernel buffer and
cache..

Regards,
Bjoern