Re: PostgreSQL data on a NAS device ? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alexander Priem
Subject Re: PostgreSQL data on a NAS device ?
Date
Re: PostgreSQL data on a NAS device ?
List pgsql-performance
Thanks for your reply, Jeff.

If we are going to use a NAS device for storage, then it will be attached
through a gigabit ethernet connection. Fiber will not be an option, since
that would negate the savings we can make by using an IDE NAS device instead
of SCSI-RAID, fiber's pretty expensive, right?

Using a NAS device (that is used only by PostgreSQL, so it's dedicated) with
3Gb of RAM and four 7200 rpm IDE harddisks, connected using a gigabit
ethernet connection to the PostgreSQL server, do you think it will be a
match for a SCSI-RAID config using 4 or 6 15000rpm disks (RAID-10) through a
SCSI-RAID controller having 128mb of writeback cache (battery-backed)?

The SCSI-RAID config would be a lot more expensive. I can't purchase both
configs and test which one wil be faster, but if the NAS solution would be
(almost) as fast as the SCSI-RAID solution, it would be cheaper and easier
to maintain...

About clustering: I know this can't be done by hooking multiple postmasters
to one and the same NAS. This would result in data corruption, i've read...

Kind regards,
Alexander.