Re: JDBC with SSL - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From John Laban
Subject Re: JDBC with SSL
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Thanks for the tip, but sorry, no luck.

As for us, we're going to try modifiying the driver to use a custom
SSLSocketFactory that won't care about the authentication procedure.

Thanks,
John Laban

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nagy Istvan" <nistvan@ecity.agria.hu>
To: "John Laban" <johnl@infotn.com>
Cc: <pgsql-jdbc@postgresql.org>
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2003 2:07 PM
Subject: Re: [JDBC] JDBC with SSL

> Hi John,
>
> try this one (i hope it works)
>
> 1. open the certificate in a text editor
> 2. look for the line starting like this: ------ BEGIN CERTIFICATE ...
> 3. cut the closing section of the file ( incl. the ---- BEGIN CERTIFICATE
> and ---- END CERTIFICATE lines) and copy it into the file cert2.crt
> 4. run: $ keytool -import -alias alias_name -file cert2.crt
> 5. answer all questions and say that you trust this cert
>
> If you were successful can you tell me about your config? I use
jdk1.3.0_02
> and jsse (I know it is an old conf) and PG 7.3 and I recieve an answer as
> follows:"FATAL: failed to initialize SSL connection: wrong version
number".
> I see the next in the server's log file: "FATAL: failed to initialize SSL
> connection: sslv3 alert handshake failure" then "FATAL: SSL SYSCALL error:
> Connection reset by peer"
>
> If i change the next line in the back and code :
> SSL_context=SSL_CTX_new(TLSv1_method()) to
> SSL_context=SSL_CTX_new(SSLv23_method()) and
> initialize the factory in the jdbc driver by using SSLv23 then
> everything is ok.
>
> why?
>
> regards / Istvan Nagy

org.postgresql.jdbc1.AbstractJdbc1Connection.openConnection(AbstractJdbc1Con

> > java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:512)

> > java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:140)

> > Exception:
> > certificate

> > certificate

> > com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.BaseSSLSocketImpl.a(DashoA6275)

> com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.a(DashoA6275)

> com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.a(DashoA6275)

> com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.a(DashoA6275)

> com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.j(DashoA6275)

> com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.a(DashoA6275)

java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flushBuffer(BufferedOutputStream.java:69)

org.postgresql.jdbc1.AbstractJdbc1Connection.openConnection(AbstractJdbc1Con

> > java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:512)

> > java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:140)

> > trusted

com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkServerTrusted(DashoA6

com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.JsseX509TrustManager.checkServerTrusted(DashoA6

If