Re: Thought on OIDs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mitch Vincent
Subject Re: Thought on OIDs
Date
List pgsql-general
> Hi!
>
> A thought just hit me and I got a bit worried... If OIDs are "globaly"
> unique and I have a very high data-throughput on my database, i.e. I do a
> lot of inserts and deletes, is it then possible to "run out" of OIDs? If
> this can occur, will it cause any problems?

Yes it can happen, yes it will cause problems..

> Need I worry? =)

It depends on how busy "busy" is to you :-)

There was a rather long thread about this a few weeks ago, I believe there
was discussion of wrapping OIDs but I'm not sure how the conversation turned
out -- one of the core developers will have to comment..

-Mitch