Re: [GENERAL] Db backup - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Db backup
Date
List pgsql-general
On 6/8/2017 12:10 PM, Jimmy Lunceford wrote:
> A windows 7 computer went bad but the hdd is still operable. Is there
> a way to transfer the db data directories to another computer or does
> it require a dump and restore?

the data directories should work as-is on another Windows computer with
the same major version and 'build' of postgresql and same 32 vs 64
bitness.   By 'build' I mean like enterpriseDB installer vs BigSQL vs
custom-built.   if custom built, the build options will need to be
pretty much the same (visualC vs gcc/mingw vs cygwin, and the same
general ./configure options, etc etc).