Re: RFC: Very large scale postgres support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Keith Bottner
Subject Re: RFC: Very large scale postgres support
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I always enjoy how everyone wants to talk about using different solutions
prior to understanding the complete problem. I would say that a *real* issue
is any perceived issue whether a current solution exists or not. If current
solutions are applicable and would work then great we have all gained;
however, if in fact it is necessary to add the additional functionality to
Postgres then so be it. But none of this can be decided until the complete
problem and hence the requirements are understood. My impression of the
Postgres project has always been that of a high end database system that is
endeavoring to become a component of critical enterprise systems. If this is
not true or as a group we are going to keep placing these scalability issues
aside then this will never be achieved and those of us who want Postgres to
play a more important role for our corporate systems will have no choice but
to go somewhere else.

I understand your position Andreas and respect your opinion; maybe what I
have identified as requirements is what you are specifying as *real* issues.
I hope so, because I to would like to avoid unnecessary dbms efforts. But
from what I understand of Alex's problem and more specifically mine, adding
another layer at the organizational/app level will not provide the level of
functionality that is required.

Regards,

Keith