Re: Money data type in PostgreSQL? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: Money data type in PostgreSQL?
Date
List pgsql-general
Funny you mention IDR-- I happen to be in Jakarta at the moment.

Obviously different customers have different requirements, but I always
suggest trading performance for usefulness where necessary.

Obviously, the scale will need to be in accordance with the needs of your
customer (unlikey to need any for IDR; 2, 3, or more depending on industry
for USD).  I would also always suggest overshooting the precision by a few
places to ensure that:
1) if there is another banking crisis, your app still performs
2) take into account future inflation
3) take into account future growth.

Best WIshes,
Chris Travers