Re: Ellipses around result fragment of ts_headline - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Asher Snyder
Subject Re: Ellipses around result fragment of ts_headline
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Interesting, it could be that you already do it, but the documentation makes
no reference to a fragment delimiter, so there's no way that I can see to
add one. The documentation for ts_headline only lists StartSel, StopSel,
MaxWords, MinWords, ShortWord, and HighlightAll, there appears to be no
option for a fragment delimiter.

In my case I do:

SELECT v1.id, v1.type_id, v1.title, ts_headline(v1.copy, query, 'MinWords =
17') as copy, ts_rank(v1.text_search, query) AS rank FROM (SELECT b1.*, (setweight(to_tsvector(coalesce(b1.title,'')),
'A')
||    setweight(to_tsvector(coalesce(b1.copy,'')), 'B')) as text_search     FROM search.v_searchable_content b1) v1,
plainto_tsquery($1)query

WHERE ($2 IS NULL OR (type_id = ANY($2))) AND query @@ v1.text_search ORDER
BY rank DESC, title

Now, this use of ts_headline correctly returns me highlighted fragmented
search results, but there will be no fragment delimiter for the headline.
Some suggestions were to change ts_headline(v1.copy, query, 'MinWords = 17')
to '...' || _headline(v1.copy, query, 'MinWords = 17') || '...',  but as you
can clearly see this would always occur, and not be intelligent regarding
the fragments. I hope that you're correct and that it is implemented, and
not documented