Re: meaning of "create role" - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Michael Glaesemann
Subject Re: meaning of "create role"
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Jun 20, 2007, at 8:20 , Carol Cheung wrote:

> In PostgreSQL 8.1, when I'm in psql, the command "\du" produces a
> table with one of the columns as "Create role". What does "yes"
> under "Create role" mean?
> (I know that "Create role" seems pretty self-explanatory, but what
> perplexes me is all the users have "no" under "Create role". Does
> this mean that all the users are not allowed to create roles?)

For the roles (users) on your system, yes. Though you should have at
least one superuser who has CREATEROLE, otherwise you couldn't create
new roles.

See the docs for more details:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/role-attributes.html

Michael Glaesemann