Re: Hosted servers with good DB disk performance? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jerry Champlin
Subject Re: Hosted servers with good DB disk performance?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Depends on the level of facility you are looking for.  Peer1 (www.peer1.com)
will sell you just about whatever you need contained in a single box and I
believe their Atlanta facility and some others have a managed SAN option.
Since you want a customized solution, make sure you talk with one of their
solutions engineers.  Another good option in this range up to mid-enterprise
hosting solutions is Host My Site (www.hostmysite.com).  On the very high
end of the spectrum, gni (www.gni.com) seems to provide a good set of
infrastructure as a service (IAAS) solutions including SAN storage and very
high bandwidth - historically they have been very successful in the MPOG
world.  If you are interested, I can put you in touch with real people who
can help you at all three organizations.

Jerry Champlin|Absolute Performance Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Greg Smith
Sent: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 3:51 PM
To: pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
Subject: [PERFORM] Hosted servers with good DB disk performance?

I keep falling into situations where it would be nice to host a server
somewhere else.  Virtual host solutions and the mysterious cloud are no
good for the ones I run into though, as disk performance is important for
all the applications I have to deal with.

What I'd love to have is a way to rent a fairly serious piece of dedicated
hardware, ideally with multiple (at least 4) hard drives in a RAID
configuration and a battery-backed write cache.  The cache is negotiable.
Linux would be preferred, FreeBSD or Solaris would also work; not Windows
though (see "good DB performance").

Is anyone aware of a company that offers such a thing?