Re: Increasing system speed by using -F option - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mitch Vincent
Subject Re: Increasing system speed by using -F option
Date
List pgsql-general
-F makes PG *not* call fsync(), therefore the risk of corruption and the
speed increase. (The good, the bad and if it crashes , the ugly)

It's possible to speed up queries by increasing your -B and -S parameters to
use some more memory.. There is also a lot to be said for _proper_ use of
indexes ( Use EXPLAIN!)..

If you could give us a little more information about the tables you're
searching and the queries you're using, maybe we could provide some more
specific help..

Good luck!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Alliban" <MarkA@idnltd.com>
To: <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Sent: Friday, September 01, 2000 5:53 AM
Subject: [GENERAL] Increasing system speed by using -F option

Hi,

I notice a dramatic speed increase (3 to 4 times faster) by using the -F
option when starting the database, at a cost of database corruption if the
OS crashes. This database is mission-critical so data reliability is
extremely important, meaning I cannot use the -F option. Are there any ways
of achieving similar speed increases without using the -F option? I am using
RedHat 6.1, 7.0.2, -B 2048 -N 1024 -i.

Thanks,
Mark.