Re: PostgreSQL for Windows - Mailing list pgsql-general

From A_Schnabel@t-online.de (Andre Schnabel)
Subject Re: PostgreSQL for Windows
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi!

PostgreSQL runs with Windows (NT and 2000). Clientapplications should run
under Win9x / ME too (I never tried that).
Best way to get a running PostgreSQL-Server is installing cygwin
(http://www.cygwin.com/) an than carefully reading the NT-install-docs
(http://www.freebsd.org/~kevlo/postgres/portNT.html or
http://www.sevainc.com/PostgreSQL_running_on_NT.html).

If you want to run e real Server on Windows, you have to startup and
shutdown the postmaster automatically at system startup and -shutdown. ...
Startup should be easy ... but I had no idea, how do do the automatic
shutdown.

The other way ist to use an *NIX or linux - system as server and connect via
odbc (or DBI or any other client interface).
So the question is .. what exactly is your client?

kind regards,
Andre