Re: Question on hardware & server capacity - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Steve Wolfe
Subject Re: Question on hardware & server capacity
Date
List pgsql-performance
> Actually, free memory doesn't mean a whole lot.  How much memory is
being
> used as cache by the kernel?

  Generally, a gig or so.

> Can you distribute your dataset across multiple machines?  or is it the
> kinda thing that all needs to be in one big machine?

  We're splitting the front-end across a number of machines, but all of
the various datasets are sufficiently intertwined that they all have to be
in the same database.  I'm going to fiddle around with some of the
available replication options and see if they're robust enough to put them
into production.

steve