Re: PostgreSQL on Power Linux - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bernd Helmle
Subject Re: PostgreSQL on Power Linux
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

--On 26. September 2013 12:16:45 -0400 Nikolas Everett <nik9000@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I hate to be a downer but I used to run PostgreSQL on Power running
> RHEL.  It was _very_ snappy.  I'm told that the performance was way
> better than anything else that could be purchased at the time.  The
> boxes were expensive (up front and ongoing cost) and the different
> endian-ness made it impossible to take a snapshot of production and
> remount it on any non-power machine.  We were also afraid of being the
> only people that ran PostgreSQL on RHEL on Power which didn't help
> matters.
>

> Some of my problems would have gone away if there was more power adoption
> and some could have been mitigated with tools that no one had time to
> write/find.  I'm not sure what to do about the price tag complains
> though:)

We have a customer running PostgreSQL for years now since POWER5 and
PostgreSQL 8.2. There were problems in the beginning but they were mostly
related to storage. They used SLES10 at the beginning, which ran well, but
whoever tries to maintain such a system will have an idea how hard SuSE can
be...

They run now on POWER7 with RHEL6 for a year now without any bigger
problems (complete redesign of the setup and storage with IBM SVC). The
instances itself perform very well and i have to say that this setup is
very very mission critical for their setup. The whole strength of this
platform are the powerful virtualization capabilities and its performance
there, i think.

But i have to admit, you need some very experienced people to get the whole
stuff running.

--
Thanks

    Bernd