Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date
In response to Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:25 PM Josh Berkus wrote:
> Amit,
>
> > I had already sent the updated patch based on recent suggestions.
>
> Yes, but there is no consensus yet on certain fundamental issues, such
> as:
>
> 1. what directory should postgresql.auto.conf live in?
 Current situation is that Greg Smith has provided a usecase for all config files to be present in location other than
$PGDATA,but based on further suggestions given by Greg Stark and Stephen Frost it is clear that keeping
postgresql.auto.confwill not harm the users of Debian.
 More to that point, I think if we try to address conf.d (for maintaining config files) along with this  Patch, it will
notbe possible to get every one on same plane.
 I think apart from Greg Stark and Stephen Frost other people (Tom, Robert) are of opinion that auto file should be
placedin $PGDATA, so shouldn't we consider this as consensus and move forward for this point unless Tom or Robert have
changedtheir view based on usecase provided by Greg Smith?

> 2. should admins be able to turn it "off"?
    IIRC there are not many people who want this feature to be turned off. Peter E. had asked seeing the complexity,
butin general I don't think    This is a blocking point for patch, am I missing something here?
> Once we have consensus on these issues, then hopefully we can commit
> your patch.  I don't *think* anyone is arguing with the code at this
> stage.

Sure, I understand that it is important to have consensus and agreement on above points.
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.