Re: Cleaning up the INET/CIDR mess - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Larry Rosenman
Subject Re: Cleaning up the INET/CIDR mess
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
>> I wonder if this would be an opportunity to fix Postgres's handling
>> of addresses like '10.1'.
>
> You've mistaken this for a proposal to change the I/O behavior, which
> it is specifically not.
>
>> The standard interpretation of this is the same as '10.0.0.1'.
>
> Standard according to whom?  Paul Vixie evidently doesn't think that
> that's a standard abbreviation, else the code we borrowed from libbind
> would do it already.

We had a **LONG** discussion on the I/O formats back in the 7.2 timeframe.
the current
behavior is the result of that.

Please do **NOT** change the I/O formats.

LER
Phone: +1 512-248-2683                 E-Mail: ler@lerctr.org
US Mail: 430 Valona Loop, Round Rock, TX 78681-3893