Re: Draft #5 -- radically re-written - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Ned Lilly
Subject Re: Draft #5 -- radically re-written
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Few more comments on the comments on the comments:

> > > SQL-STANDARD ERROR FRAMEWORK: The PostgreSQL Team has completely
> > > redesigned error logging and reporting, providing developers with an
>
> > "SQL-STANDARD ERROR FRAMEWORK: Completely redesigned ..."
> >
> > > REORGANIZED AND EXPANDED DOCUMENTATION:  The documentation contributors
> > > have completely reorganized and added many new pages to the online
>
> > REORGANIZED AND EXPANDED DOCUMENTATION:  Completely reorganized and
> > significantly expanded online documentation, making it easier for
>
> > > EXPLICIT JOIN REWRITING: Core developer Tom Lane has included an option
> > > for explicit join rewriting by the query planner, easing the transition
>
> > "EXPLICIT JOIN REWRITING: An extremely powerful option for power users,
> > which allows explicit ..."
>
> The thing I don't like about Ned's phrasing is that the paragraphs lack a
> verb, making them more passive and less grabbing.  What do other people
> think?

That's executive bullet-point-speak, as well as a former life as an editor coming through.  Trouble with real sentences
is,you have to come up with a subject each time (e.g. Tom, the only core developer mentioned by name).

> > Dunno if we add that much, but you're welcome to add "ERP software vendor
> > OpenMFG" to the list.
>
> Cool!   Please verify that that's official; I don't know your position in the
> company.

President and CEO ;-)

Cheers,
Ned