Re: Inserting Data - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bob Pawley
Subject Re: Inserting Data
Date
List pgsql-general
 Michael

Perhaps we can look at the following as a simple example of what is
happening-

---------
create or replace function loop_association() returns trigger as $$
 begin

 Insert Into p_id.loops (monitor)
 select new.devices_id
 from p_id.devices ;

 return null ;
 end ;
 $$ language plpgsql ;

 create trigger loop after insert on p_id.devices
 for each row execute procedure loop_association();
------

This trigger and procedure gives a single row on the first insert on an
otherwise blank table. However it produces two identical rows of the second
device_id on the second insert and three identical rows of the third
device_id on the third insert. (This is the only trigger on the table)

If I read your message correctly the trigger is firing on each row of the
originating table and each time it fires it produces a row on the secondary
table for the current NEW.device_id.

How can I correct this action?

Bob