Re: MS SQL <=> Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alex Bolenok
Subject Re: MS SQL <=> Postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
> Greetings!
>
> Unfortunately, I know little about both products (training for (wrong :)
> one happening next month)...
>
> We have a mission critical DB running on MS SQL that I'm planning on
> porting across to PG. To play it safe, I'm planning on installing a LINUX
> box with PG at a satellite office to see how it goes.
>
> Question: Last week you mentioned how to get MS SQL to update PG. Is it
> possible to do the opposite (so PG updates MS SQL), or does this happen
> anyway? If it doesn't, how can I do it (a pointer to a HOWTO or useful web
> site will suffice :)
>
> BTW, unfortunately, I came in part way though last week's discussion, and
> can't find it referenced in the archive index ... :(
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dave Burbidge
> Network Administrator

If you use MS SQL Server 7.0 you may consider using Merge Replication
abilities. This kind of replication allows both MS SQL Server and PostgreSQL
to update data on each other. It doesn't actually work too fast, but it is
the easiest way to set up such an interaction. See 'Merge Replication,
implementing' in MS SQL Server Books online or in MSDN Collection.

If it will not satisfy you, you may consider writing a set of triggers that
will use, say, OpenLink ODBC Driver for Misrosoft SQL Server
(http://www.openlinksw.com) to connect to the SQL Server and update data on
it.

Alex Bolenok.