RE: initlocation and createdb - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Barnes
Subject RE: initlocation and createdb
Date
List pgsql-general
Thank you.  This works, and is close to what I need, but if I don't launch
the postmaster from a window with PGDATA2 defined, such as is done with
"/etc/init.d/postgresql start" or on a system boot, then it doesn't work.  I
tried to export PGDATA2 within /etc/init.d/postgresql, but that didn't work
for me.

Can I make this work from within /etc/init.d/postgresql, or do have to start
the postmaster from a shell with the PGDATA2 already defined?

Thanks again.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Hoffmann [mailto:jeff@propertykey.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2000 5:29 PM
To: Barnes
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] initlocation and createdb

Barnes wrote:

> I'm having trouble setting up databases in a new location.  In particular,
> do the following:
>
> [postgres@whopper pgdata]$ export PGDATA2=/home/pgdata
> [postgres@whopper pgdata]$ initlocation PGDATA2
> The location will be initialized with username "postgres".
> This user will own all the files and must also own the server process.
>
> Fixing permissions on pre-existing directory /home/pgdata
> Creating directory /home/pgdata/base
>
> initlocation is complete.
> You can now create a database using
>   CREATE DATABASE <name> WITH LOCATION = 'PGDATA2'
> in SQL, or
>   createdb <name> -D 'PGDATA2'
> from the shell.
>
> [postgres@whopper pgdata]$ createdb optodb -D 'PGDATA2'
> ERROR:  The database path 'PGDATA2' is invalid. This may be due to a
> character that is not allowed or because the chosen path isn't permitted
for
> databases
> createdb: database creation failed

restart the postmaster & it should work fine.  the environment variable
has to be defined before the postmaster is started in order for the
alternet locations to work.  this has been covered a number of times
recently.  wasn't it also added to the FAQ or some other documentation
not too long ago?

--

Jeff Hoffmann
PropertyKey.com