Re: Plans for solving the VACUUM problem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vadim Mikheev
Subject Re: Plans for solving the VACUUM problem
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Were you going to use WAL to get free space from old copies too?

Considerable approach.

> Vadim, I think I am missing something.  You mentioned UNDO would be used
> for these cases and I don't understand the purpose of adding what would
> seem to be a pretty complex capability:

Yeh, we already won title of most advanced among simple databases, -:)
Yes, looking in list of IDs assigned to single transaction in tqual.c is much
easy to do than UNDO. As well as couple of fsyncs is easy than WAL.

> > 1. Reclaim space allocated by aborted transactions.
>
> Is there really a lot to be saved here vs. old tuples of committed
> transactions?

Are you able to protect COPY FROM from abort/crash?

Vadim