Re: High rate of transaction failure with the Serializable Isolation Level - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Reza Taheri
Subject Re: High rate of transaction failure with the Serializable Isolation Level
Date
List pgsql-performance
An update: following the recommendations on this list, I ran a number of experiments:

- I ran with all foreign keys deleted. There was a 4% drop in the rate of deadlocks/transaction, which went from 0.32
pertransaction to 0.31. So we still have pretty much the same failure rate. One interesting side effect was that
throughputwent up by 9%. So maintaining (a lot of) foreign constraints costs us a lot

- I ran with max_pred_locks_per_tran as high as 26,400. No difference

- I rebuilt the database with fillfactor=15 for all the tables and indexes that are involved in the transactions that
fail.This was to see if the problem is PGSQL upgrading row level locks to page level locks. With a low fillfactor, the
chancesof two transactions landing on the same page is low. We have around 9 rows per data page instead of the original
~60.(The index pages are more tightly packed).   I ran a range of thread counts from 5 to 60 for the threads that issue
transactions. The failure rate per transaction dropped to around half for the thread count of 5, but that's misleading
sincewith a fillfactor of15, our database size went up by around 6X, reducing the effectiveness of PGSQL and OS disk
caches,resulting in a throughput of around half of what we used to see. So the reduced failure rate is just a result of
fewerthreads competing for resources. When I run with enough threads to max out the system with fillfactor=15 or 100, I
getthe same failure rates

- In case folks hadn't noticed, Ryan Johnson is getting very similar failure rates with dbt-5. So this isn't a case of
ourhaving made a silly mistake in our coding of the app or the stored procedures

Above experiments were the easy one. I am now working on rewriting the app code and the 6 stored procedures to see if I
canexecute the whole transaction in a single stored procedure

Thanks,
Reza