Re: OT It is here: Oracle 10g Express - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Wes Williams
Subject Re: OT It is here: Oracle 10g Express
Date
List pgsql-general
Again, the previously provide link is NOT the version that is licensed free
for commercial production use!

The version in the headlines lately suggesting a free Oracle database for
professional and production use is NOT YET PUBLICLY AVAILABLE [expected by
year-end].  Still, the link below is likely to REPRESENT what we may expect
Oracle's new product may behave like.

On Nov. 1 I tried download below and it does have a very easy setup, and
some of the GUI management features are nice [all web-based].  Other than an
easy installer, compatibility to their expensive full database, and some GUI
maintenance features [data import anyone?] there is nothing remarkable about
this as compared to PostgreSQL except brand recognition and a large
marketing budget.  That said, I'd love to see what Postgre marketing could
do with just 10% of Oracles marketing budget to help build product
recognition.