Re: plpython? (Was: Re: Damn triggers and NEW) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sander Steffann
Subject Re: plpython? (Was: Re: Damn triggers and NEW)
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

> Yes.  I can't see that we have any other alternative.  The existing
> plpython won't work at all with newer Python installations, and while
> it'd still work with older ones, it has exactly the same security holes
> that prompted the Python folk to pull rexec.  That means it's foolish
> to pretend that it can still be considered a trusted language.  So
> I feel we cannot just leave it sit there.  Either somebody does the
> legwork to convert it into an untrusted language that doesn't use rexec,
> or it goes.  And I don't think any of the core team has the time to do
> that legwork.  If there's no plpython user with the commitment to fix
> it, it's history :-(.  Any volunteers out there?

Not that I have time to do this, but I realy _need_ plpython in my current
project. So if nobody else will do it I'll have to make/find time... I also
don't have much experience with integrating Python and C, so I would have to
learn that.

I think it would be better if someone with more experience and time would do
this, but if nobody else is available I'll do it.
Sander.