PostgreSQL 8.4 Window functions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paolo Saudin
Subject PostgreSQL 8.4 Window functions
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

    I am trying to calculate an 8 hour moving average using the new
Window functions without success. Here is what I am trying to do :

-- create test table
CREATE TABLE temperatures
(
  fulldate timestamp NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
  value numeric
);

-- inserts
INSERT INTO temperatures
    select '2009-07-01 00:00:00'::timestamp + interval '1 hour' * s.a as
fulldate,
    round(cast(random() as numeric), 1) as value from
    generate_series(0,23) as s(a)
;

-- selects
select * from temperatures order by fulldate;

-- window function
SELECT fulldate, value, avg(value) OVER () FROM temperatures ORDER BY
fulldate; SELECT fulldate, value, avg(value) OVER (ORDER BY fulldate) FROM
temperatures ORDER BY fulldate; SELECT fulldate, value, round(avg(value)
OVER (ORDER BY fulldate RANGE UNBOUNDED PRECEDING), 2) as value FROM
temperatures ORDER BY fulldate;
-- not supported
SELECT fulldate, value, round(avg(value) OVER (ORDER BY fulldate RANGE -8
PRECEDING), 2) as value FROM temperatures ORDER BY fulldate;

Is there any way to PARTITION on a subset of rows (in this case 8) ?

-- expected result
-- date time        value    moving-average
2009-07-01 00:00:00    0,3
2009-07-01 01:00:00    0,1
2009-07-01 02:00:00    0,5
2009-07-01 03:00:00    0,1