Re: how good is PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Wolfe
Subject Re: how good is PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
> Or they could buy a single IBM S/390, run Linux/390 and PostgreSQL on
> that. Probably would cost less, and be more reliable.  And they can
> always load another Linux/390 VM -- an S/390 can run something like
> 41,000 virtual machines each running Linux/390 and Apache.

  Yeah....  I'm very optomistic about IBM's new chips that are coming out
next year.  Each "processor module" will have 4 processors, but each
processor will have 2 cores - so in effect, each "processor module" has 8
processors on it.  All processors will have copper interconnects, and
depending on the source, will debut at anywhere from 1.3 to 2 gigahertz.  I
think that will certainly help them get a larger share of the high-end
market!

steve