Re: - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Griffiths
Subject Re:
Date
List pgsql-general
Couple of questions about your last comment:

- the benchmark against the dual-P3's was as a web server?
- what was the config of the dual P3 machine?
- could the slow-down be attributed to something other than CPU performance?
IE lots of disk reads, with the P3 system having a better disk-system? Or
perhaps they have equivilent hard-drive configurations, but they are
disk-bound and thus the Athalon doesn't get to shine? Perhaps the Athalon
system is not fully maxed?

I've heard that there is a kernal bug with the Athalon (Microsoft has a
registry patch for it). Maybe only with nVidia graphics cards? Couldn't find
a reference.

LinuxHardware.org did a nice review of a Dual Athalon +1800 (compared to
various systems). Shows that (surprise surprise) dual processors are only
useful if you have software that can take advantage of multiple processors.
The url:
http://www.linuxhardware.org/article.pl?sid=01/10/15/1443234&mode=thread

David