Email address VERP problems (was RE: Does a call to a language handler provide a context/session, and somewhere to keep session data? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Bennett
Subject Email address VERP problems (was RE: Does a call to a language handler provide a context/session, and somewhere to keep session data?
Date
Responses Re: Email address VERP problems (was RE: Does a call to a language handler provide a context/session, and somewhere to keep session data?  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-general
> owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Alvaro Herrera

> On that subject.  I noticed that Outlook seems to add the "return
> path"
> addresses (sometimes called bounce address or envelope sender) to the
> CC header, which sets a new record in the stupidity scale.  Since we
> use VERP, each message gets a different return path address, so with
> each reply you make, Outlook adds a new address to the CC.

Interesting. I use a lot of mailing lists and I've not run across one
actually using VERP before. Is it becoming more frequent?

I checked the headers. It seems this list is using a VERP address for both
the Return-path and the Reply-To, and only the Sender identifies the list
directly.

No, Outlook does no such thing. Outlook by default replies to the Reply-To
(which seems reasonable). It seems that the list software is able to remove
the VERP address in this case.

If I use 'reply all' Outlook adds the Sender to the To address and preserves
existing CCs. I did not see it do what you describe in several attempts.

I rather think the problem is that the list software is not pruning VERP
addresses from the emails it sends out. I don't know exactly what is causing
them, but it certainly seems to me something that the list software could
handle effortlessly.

> Maybe this is tweakable.  If so, please turn it off.

Sorry, but there is nothing to tweak. It all seems to be working just fine
at this end. But I will keep any eye out for extra VERPs and delete them (as
I have on this message).

Regards
David M Bennett FACS

Andl - A New Database Language - andl.org