Re: Why overlaps is not working - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrus
Subject Re: Why overlaps is not working
Date
Re: Why overlaps is not working
List pgsql-general
> apparently date doesn't know anything about infinity.  However, from what
> I've read in my "SQL for
> smarties" book regarding temporial database design, unknown future dates
> were stored as:
> '9999-12-31'
>
> Would this help, since any enddate with this value would be be enterpreted
> as an enddate that has
> not yet occured?  when you arrive at the date for records effective period
> to close just update
> the enddate to the today's date.

select date '10000-1-1'< date '99991231'

return false.

If my database contains dates greater than DATE  '9999-12-31' then this
check fails.

This is why I'm searching for a real MAX_DATE value in Postgres.

It would be nice if there will be MAX_DATE constant in Postgres or some one
row system table contains MAX_DATE value.

Andrus.