Re: Switching PL/Python to Python 3 by default in PostgreSQL 12 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Switching PL/Python to Python 3 by default in PostgreSQL 12
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2019-07-07 21:26, Steven Pousty wrote:
> The point of the links I sent from the Python community is that they
> wanted Python extinct in the wild as of Jan 1 next year. They are never
> fixing it, even for a security vulnerability.

The operating systems that most of our users are going to run PostgreSQL
12 on will keep maintaining Python 2 for the foreseeable future.

I'm not trying to dismiss the importance of managing the Python
transition.  But this issue has been known for many years, and the
current setup is more or less in line with the wider world.  For
example, the Debian release that came out over the weekend still ships
with /usr/bin/python being Python 2.  So it is neither timely nor urgent
to try to make some significant change about this in PostgreSQL 12 right
now.  I would welcome patches for this for PostgreSQL 13.