copy query results to file - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From John Payne
Subject copy query results to file
Date
Re: copy query results to file
Re: copy query results to file
List pgsql-novice

Hi, a very basic question here: I am using an older version of Postgresql (8.1.11 running on Redhat Fedora 5.3) on a remote server that times me out fairly quickly, and I need to run some queries that take a long time to complete.  Therefore I would like to story the query results in a file in a .csv format.  I see from the documentation that there are two basic approaches:

1.        Write a query  using “COPY table TO ‘file’ CSV”.

2.       Use psql to output the data, as in:

a.       \o

b.      Query here….

c.       \o

Neither approach is working for me.  1) The COPY query doesn’t work on views, and gives me an error when I try to run it as “COPY (select  …).  2) The psql produces output in an inconvenient format with pipe symbols and headers and underlines.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks,

GK