Re: Trouble with Cygrunsrv - Mailing list pgsql-cygwin

From George Weaver
Subject Re: Trouble with Cygrunsrv
Date
List pgsql-cygwin
Thanks Wim,

I can start the postmaster using pg_ctl without problem, so it is working without a problem.

My problem is trying to get it set up as a service to start automatically when I boot my system.

George
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 11:02 AM
Subject: RE: [CYGWIN] Trouble with Cygrunsrv

cygrunsrv --install postmaster --path /bin/postmaster --args "-l log -o -i" --dep ipc-daemon --termsig INT --shutdown

which installed the service.

When I try and start the service, it shows the service starting but then it stops and I get the following message:

    "The postmaster service on Local Computer started and then stopped."

Can someone tell me what I've missed?

The first thing I do when the PostgreSQL server fails to start, is check the Windows Event Log. Typically it'll show the real reason that the server failed to start. Also, make sure that the cygipc package is installed and that the Cygwin IPC Service is starting. Another problem I've seen is stale .pid files in the PostgreSQL data directory.

Hope that helps...

Wim