Re: new interface - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Reggie Burnett
Subject Re: new interface
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Let me see if I can add more information here.  PSQL appears to only
retrieve table metadata when \d is given.  For my interface, I will need
the ability to present every column as a proper system object (int, byte
array, currency, etc) depending on the db type.  I will not be able to
wait for the user of my interface to execute a method before retrieving
this data so I will need to automatically retrieve it every time.

Having looked at the query issued by \d in PSQL, it would seem that I
would need to issue that same query for every column in my select.  I
say that because it contains a join of pg_class and pg_attribute.

Am I understanding this right?

In