Re: slowness when subselect uses DISTINCT - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Phillip Smith
Subject Re: slowness when subselect uses DISTINCT
Date
List pgsql-sql
Let's start with one, and whatever is causing it in one, is perhaps in
theory, causing the rest :)

Cheers,
~p

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-sql-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-sql-owner@postgresql.org]
On Behalf Of Stuart McGraw
Sent: Friday, 20 April 2007 00:20
To: pgsql-sql@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [SQL] slowness when subselect uses DISTINCT

Phillip Smith wrote:
> May I suggest you post an EXPLAIN ANALYZE to the group for the query
you're
> having problems with...?

I will do that but it has happened to me enough that it seems to be
a general pattern, not something specific to one of my queries,
so I thought some communal knowledge may exist.  But apparently
not.

TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to      choose an index scan if your joining column's
datatypesdo not      match

*******************Confidentiality and Privilege Notice*******************

The material contained in this message is privileged and confidential to
the addressee.  If you are not the addressee indicated in this message or
responsible for delivery of the message to such person, you may not copy
or deliver this message to anyone, and you should destroy it and kindly
notify the sender by reply email.

Information in this message that does not relate to the official business
of Weatherbeeta must be treated as neither given nor endorsed by Weatherbeeta.
Weatherbeeta, its employees, contractors or associates shall not be liable
for direct, indirect or consequential loss arising from transmission of this
message or any attachments