Re: Millions of tables - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alex Ignatov \(postgrespro\)
Subject Re: Millions of tables
Date
Re: Millions of tables
List pgsql-performance

From: pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Greg Spiegelberg
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 7:28 PM
To: Terry Schmitt <tschmitt@schmittworks.com>
Cc: pgsql-performa. <pgsql-performance@postgresql.org>
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Millions of tables

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 10:15 AM, Terry Schmitt <tschmitt@schmittworks.com> wrote:

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 7:50 PM, Greg Spiegelberg <gspiegelberg@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey all,

Obviously everyone who's been in PostgreSQL or almost any RDBMS for a time has said not to have millions of tables.  I too have long believed it until recently.

AWS d2.8xlarge instance with 9.5 is my test rig using XFS on EBS (io1) for PGDATA.  Over the weekend, I created 8M tables with 16M indexes on those tables.  Table creation initially took 0.018031 secs, average 0.027467 and after tossing out outliers (qty 5) the maximum creation time found was 0.66139 seconds.  Total time 30 hours, 31 minutes and 8.435049 seconds.  Tables were created by a single process.  Do note that table creation is done via plpgsql function as there are other housekeeping tasks necessary though minimal.

No system tuning but here is a list of PostgreSQL knobs and switches:

shared_buffers = 2GB

work_mem = 48 MB

max_stack_depth = 4 MB

synchronous_commit = off

effective_cache_size = 200 GB

pg_xlog is on it's own file system

There are some still obvious problems.  General DBA functions such as VACUUM and ANALYZE should not be done.  Each will run forever and cause much grief.  Backups are problematic in the traditional pg_dump and PITR space.  Large JOIN's by VIEW, SELECT or via table inheritance (I am abusing it in my test case) are no-no's.  A system or database crash could take potentially hours to days to recover.  There are likely other issues ahead.

You may wonder, "why is Greg attempting such a thing?"  I looked at DynamoDB, BigTable, and Cassandra.  I like Greenplum but, let's face it, it's antiquated and don't get me started on "Hadoop".  I looked at many others and ultimately the recommended use of each vendor was to have one table for all data.  That overcomes the millions of tables problem, right?

Problem with the "one big table" solution is I anticipate 1,200 trillion records.  Random access is expected and the customer expects <30ms reads for a single record fetch.

No data is loaded... yet  Table and index creation only.  I am interested in the opinions of all including tests I may perform.  If you had this setup, what would you capture / analyze?  I have a job running preparing data.  I did this on a much smaller scale (50k tables) and data load via function allowed close to 6,000 records/second.  The schema has been simplified since and last test reach just over 20,000 records/second with 300k tables.

I'm not looking for alternatives yet but input to my test.  Takers?

I can't promise immediate feedback but will do my best to respond with results.

TIA,

-Greg

I have not seen any mention of transaction ID wraparound mentioned in this thread yet. With the numbers that you are looking at, I could see this as a major issue.

Thank you Terry.  You get the gold star.  :)   I was waiting for that to come up.

Success means handling this condition.  A whole database vacuum and dump-restore is out of the question.  Can a properly tuned autovacuum prevent the situation?

-Greg

Hi!

With millions of tables you have to set    autovacuum_max_workers  sky-high =). We have some situation when at thousands of tables autovacuum can’t vacuum all tables that need it. Simply it vacuums some of most modified table and never reach others. Only manual vacuum can help with this situation. With wraparound issue it can be a nightmare

--

Alex Ignatov
Postgres Professional: