Re: DB cache size strategies - Mailing list pgsql-general

From NTPT
Subject Re: DB cache size strategies
Date
Re: DB cache size strategies  ("scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
List pgsql-general
I make some test on my production system while maintance time so no user use the system.It run on old box with k6-2/500
and 3* 128mb DIMMs pg 7.3.2

I have table with around 100 000 lines like this : owner int8,id int8, content text , index on column owner (this index
isused by text query).

i manage a test query  select * from table where owner='10000' order by id  oddset 100 limit 50 . There is around 10
000lines  before limit and offset apply. i run explain analyze and got this

Case 1: (no memory to Pg )
sort_mem   = 64Kb
effective_cache_size = 64 (8k blocks - Around 512 kb )

Take 3300 ms

Case 2: (give a lot of ram to postgres)
sort_mem   = 64000 Kb
effective_cache_size = 8192  (8k blocks)

Swapping occured , execution take 5400 ms

Case 3:
sort_mem   = 16000 Kb
effective_cache_size = 512 (8k blocks - Around 4 Mb )

Take 1200 ms. The best result.

Case 4:
sort_mem   = 16000 Kb
effective_cache_size = 64 (8k blocks - Around 512 kb )

Take 1900 ms.. In this case i try to increase effective_cache_size step by step 64,128,256,512,1024 but increase
effective_cache_sizeup from  512 have no dramatic impact on performance.

I test  shared_buffer settings, between 2*max_connection ie 128*2 to 1024  but have no dramatic impact on performance,
butin my tests no focus on this

It seems that :

1: Settings memory limits too high,  whnen machine start using swap space is WROSE then give postgres as low memory as
possible.

2: settings of  sort_mem have bigger impact on performance  then settings of effective_cache_size , if   db cache hold
atleast hunderds of disk pages. More than 1000 disk pages in effective cache size have no sense.

I can not made reliable simulations with this database on real user load :(, so with more concurent user result may be
different.  May be a good "stress test" suite for postgresql database is needed for future testings.