Q: How ORDER BY is being done inetrnally? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nicolai Tufar
Subject Q: How ORDER BY is being done inetrnally?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

We are trying to fix another problem we have with Turkish locale.
Order in which tuples are returned by SELECT .. ORDER BY .
statement differs from the one returned by UNIX sort utility or
what strcoll() function will suggest. It is specific to a locale so
you will not likely be able to reproduce it.

I understand that with ORDER BY clause, values are compared
in case-insensitive manner as well as it should be the case with
the values stored in indices. And I suspect that problem is hidden
somewhere there.

I tried to find where this conversion and comparison is being done
in source code but could not, despite all my efforts. I would very
much appreciate if someone would point out what functions are
being called while sorting data for return for ORDER BY clause.

Thanks in advance,
Nicolai Tufar