RE: [HACKERS] mdnblocks is an amazing time sink in huge relations - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hiroshi Inoue
Subject RE: [HACKERS] mdnblocks is an amazing time sink in huge relations
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue@tpf.co.jp> writes:

[snip]

> > Deletion is necessary only not to consume disk space.
> >
> > For example vacuum could remove not deleted files.
>
> Hmm ... interesting idea ... but I can hear the complaints
> from users already...

My idea is only an analogy of PostgreSQL's simple recovery
mechanism of tuples.

And my main point is"delete fails after commit" doesn't harm the databaseexcept that not deleted files consume disk
space.

Of cource,it's preferable to delete relation files immediately
after(or just when) commit.
Useless files are visible though useless tuples are invisible.

Regards.

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue@tpf.co.jp